Thursday, April 13, 2023

A MESSAGE FROM JUSTICE KYRA H. BOLDEN - MICHIGAN SUPREME COURT PROBLEM-SOLVING COURTS LIAISON

PSC Annual Report FY 2022

 

In shifting from a maker of laws to an upholder of laws, I feel almost as though I have stepped through the looking glass.

 

When I served on the House Judiciary Committee, I learned about a host of issues affecting Michigan courts and focused much of my time on pushing for meaningful criminal justice reform. I also had the privilege of voting on state support of an array of beneficial programs, including problem-solving courts.

 

Now as the new Michigan Supreme Court liaison to problem-solving courts, I get to view these amazing programs through a whole new lens.

 

After reviewing some of the data shared in this report (and past reports), I am extremely impressed at the success rates of the programs. Year after year, these courts do much more than solve problems—they save lives.

 

But what struck me the most was that these pages are not merely filled with numbers and milestones; they are also filled with hope and humanity.

 

When Chief Justice Clement asked me to take on this role, she spoke passionately about the people who participate in these programs, as well as the people who operate them. The common refrain I kept hearing from her was “people.” And that is what PSCs are all about.

 

People who are getting second chances through these life-changing programs.

 

People who come to work every day prepared to help guide and lift up participants who, on any given day, might feel like giving up.

 

People who see a need in their community for a program that addresses underlying issues in certain justice-involved individuals.

People like Andrew, a past graduate of 55th District Sobriety Court in Mason, who commented about sobriety court:

“It taught me a lot about hope and faith, and gave me the tools to help other people in recovery. It showed me that there is hope even when I was pretty hopeless in the beginning.”

As I continue on my learning curve, I am looking forward to hitting the road and visiting PSCs across the state. I want to see the people who are affected by these programs and I want to help ensure that everyone who needs this kind of help is able to access it.

 

So “thank you” to all of the PSC judges, program coordinators, probation officers, peer mentors, law enforcement officers, attorneys, and counselors who make a difference every day through their work.

 

Hope to see you down the road!