Friday, July 20, 2018

Sisters Share Bonds of Family and Profession in the Courts

By Diane Reinke, Court Administrator, 78th District Court (Newaygo County)


I began my court career at the 70th District Court in Saginaw County as a court recorder/judicial secretary. I worked for the Hon. Harold Martin after graduating from Saginaw Business Institute in 1976.  Upon getting married in 1980, I moved to Newaygo County. 

Diane Reinke -- the
Elder Sister
After doing freelance court recording for four years, I became employed by the 78th District Court in April 1984 as a court recorder/judicial secretary for the Hon. Richard J. Farabaugh.  When Judge Farabaugh retired in 1995, I continued in the same position for the Hon. H. Kevin Drake and was promoted to court administrator in 2000.

I have a younger sibling, Elaine Moore, who is also a court administrator—at 73B District Court in Huron County (in our hometown of Port Austin).  As sisters and professional colleagues, Elaine and I frequently share ideas, court procedures, personnel issues, and general court activity. 

Sisters Diane and Elaine
Although our software vendors differ, we are able to help each other through many technological situations that arise.  When called upon from other courts for advice, we joke with each other, as Newaygo County uses JMS and Huron County used JIS, if the caller is inquiring about a JIS matter, I direct them to my sister and vice versa. 

The reply is often, “You’re kidding, right?  You have a sister that holds the same position in another county?” 

I tell them, “Yes, and I taught her everything she knows.”